Thursday, November 3, 2011

Appropriate times for Christmas Music

Inspired by Eric, thank you for the idea, this really hits home. 

So, for part of my work I get to go shopping.  Sounds great, huh ladies?  Well only sometimes.  I get this tax exemption credit card from USU and for some reason it is the most complicated transaction ever, beside the point.   I walked into Wal-Mart November 1st, just as I got my new budget for the month.  Here I am checking out the granola bars, contemplating whether the kids at work are sick and freaking tired of me buying granola bars all the time, and as I am having this mental battle in my head I begin to hear a faint melody going something like "oh the weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful...." then I start to hum "but since we've no place to go, let it.....NO!" I stopped myself just as I felt that shock of the Christmas music rush.  Now tell me Wal-Mart, was playing Christmas music there in your store in Layton really necessary?
In all honesty I think it’s pushing it playing Christmas music on the radio the day after Thanksgiving.  Which brings up another question: Is it really that fair to Thanksgiving if there is Christmas music playing before the Thanksgiving holiday even arrives?  Where is the justice in that? They already start selling Christmas decorations before Halloween arrives, what more do people want?  Music?  I love Christmas, even Christmas music.  Sometimes in the middle of July to get my younger brothers or mother’s attention I’ll sing Christmas songs out of the blue.  However, as far as the public is concerned, we should take into consideration that the Christmas holiday celebration has a time and a place, DECEMBER.  Of course, I may not have too much room to talk; I confess that after I heard the music I went and bought hot chocolate and candy canes, and then my mom and I bought a Christmas tree for my apartment the day after. 

1 comment:

  1. Its annoying when stores start playing Christmas music at the beginning of November and putting up decorations right after Halloween. However, putting up the Christmas tree early brings more satisfaction than leaving it up after Christmas is over. Christmas is a demanding holiday and it takes time to prepare for all that comes with it.

    ReplyDelete