Sunday, March 31, 2013

Happy Easter and to the bunnies as well.


Happy Easter Everyone!
There are a lot of reasons I love this holiday, however I must admit I do not like the commercial side.  Bunnies, eggs, flowers, carrots, & baby chicks are all cute and related to spring but what do they really have to do with Easter.  As a kid, I’m sure finding mystery eggs my parents hid in my backyard was fun, probably more fun than sitting in church all day.  But sometimes I feel like it gets way too blown out.  It has become to a lot of people like a rather than having Santa come bring gifts, it’s some bunny (Easter Bunny) that gives us treats and joy.  Maybe I’m a little uneducated on the subject, but from different types of accounts Santa has some historical Christian tradition and story behind it, and the only thing I can find comparable with an Easter bunny would be Christ.  I don’t personally feel comfortable comparing Christ to a bunny; I find it a bit irreverent.   We celebrate Easter because of one of the greatest miracles that has happened on earth (according to Christians).  In a matter of a few hours and the years preceding them Jesus Christ our Savior literally saved our lives, atoned for our sins, left this undying charity that will be remembered not only to those that believe in him, but in those who seek to learn any type of worldly history ever known.  There is not recorded a more giving, honorable, loving, heroic, charitable, sacrificing, and resurrected individual.  As remarkable and as an extraordinary savior as Christ, how is it that we can comparable his immeasurable grace to a bunny, in which I believe he created that bunny.  I get the whole spring association, and it’s fun especially for kids argument, but is it wrong for me to truly question why all the eggs, bunnies, and baby chicks are justly necessary.  If they are, why can they not be more related in some form to the true meaning of why we celebrate Easter?  Don’t get me wrong, I love decorating eggs, hiding them for little ones that are anxious for them, and I’m a sucker for all the candy that goes on sale. But it’s just a thought, and much of a wish that we could more heavily define the meanings behind all these traditions.  

No comments:

Post a Comment